This two and a half-day retreat is a wilderness experience where participants experience immersion in nature and disconnection from technology. Participants will benefit in the following ways:
- A reduction in the detrimental impacts today’s world has on mental and physical well-being.
- An assessment of one’s healthy aging profile including mental, physical, and social well-being.
- Discussions of corrective actions and one-on-one coaching to create an individualize action plan.
- Through restorative experiences in nature, gain an immediate reboot in well-being and a jump start on promoting healthy aging.
Who should attend
This retreat is ideal for individuals middle-aged or in early retirement. Participants must be healthy enough to engage in mild to moderate exercise.
This retreat will involve camping in the Sierra Nevada Mountains with easy access to the wonders of nature. All camping equipment and meals will be provided with the exception of a small day pack that each participant will be responsible for bringing. This is a mature adult camping experience that includes spacious tents, comfortable sleeping pads, healthy, ample and tasty meals, chairs and proximity to restroom facilities. There will be no electrical power and technology will be expected to be turned off. Guides will photograph the retreat.
The retreat will begin at 5 pm on a Friday evening and wrap-up at 2 pm on Sunday. It will take place approximately 3.5 hours from the San Francisco Bay Area. Participants are responsible for their own transportation to and from the campground. Retreat organizers will facilitate ride sharing.
Experiences and Activities
- Informal campfire discussions on promoting well-being and healthy aging including:
- How nature promotes well-being and healthy aging including ways to reap the benefits in an urban environment.
- Everyday ways that become routines that promote well-being and healthy aging. These discussions will follow individual assessments so participants can gain insights into actions that will be especially relevant.
- Guided “hands-on” experiences with activities that provide the “antidote” to modern living both through nature and in other settings.
- Healthy Aging Assessment and Optimization: topics to be covered include: brain health, physical capabilities, eating right, emotions and outlook, adaptability, social connectedness and the “whole you.”
- Two Guided Immersion Hikes that take participants to and through unspoiled nature. The hikes are not intended to be vigorous exercises but more opportunities to appreciate the beauty and solitude of nature. Each hike will have an easy or moderate level of exertion version. Both will end at an especially scenic location where hikers will be guided through exercises to enhance the connection with nature.
- Ample time for short, contemplative walks to give individuals time to put the experiences into perspective and to plan subsequent lifestyle changes.
- One-on-one coaching.